buttons

Want to follow my blog?
Pick a way to do it!

Friday, June 15, 2012

Answers to some more of your questions....

So on my facebook page again tonight, I asked if anyone had any questions for me to answer. I got some serious ones and some silly ones, and I'm going to answer all of them (and attempt to keep it clean) here for you.

Wendi asked: How do you keep 5 kids from killing one another, or putting you in a nuthouse on a cross country drive? I'd be scared to death to take 5 kids on TMOART.

This is actually easier than it should be. My kids are really good at travelling for some strange reason. I've done the trip twice by myself with the kids - once 3 years ago and once last year. We generally don't have many problems. They bring some little toys with them (think Happy Meal toys) and some books and things like that. But we usually just play silly car games and sing and talk. We don't have a portable DVD player or anything like that - I don't feel like spending the money on one, dealing with it breaking, or dealing with the fights over what movies to watch - I deal with that enough at home! They like to look at maps to try to figure out where we are, and that helps, especially now that they're older. And I let them play with the camera a little bit too. At least this time, we'll have The Dude with us to help run interference if necessary!

Amanda asked: Here's one for ya.....Why are weddings so damn expensive?! lol

My response to her was "Ha! I am not the person to ask about weddings! My first one was less than $1000 and my second was about $200. ....and there will not be a third one."

Seriously though, even though I dreamed of having the big traditional church wedding when I was a little girl, I didn't do it that way either time. My first wedding happened when I was about 6 months pregnant with Sarah, and we had it outside at a park. We bought meat/cheese and veggie trays at the grocery store, decorated ourselves, and cleaned up ourselves. My wedding dress was given to me by Ex1's sister and I just paid to have it altered. My Matron of Honor's dress was bought at a local outlet store for about $20. Ex1 wore a tux. A friend did the flowers. My sister took the pictures. It was a nice wedding, but it was super inexpensive.

The second wedding - we eloped. Cheap, quick, and easy. It was perfect for what we wanted to do at the time. We had planned to do a second "real" ceremony at my church, but that never happened.

Yes, I Really DID Just Say That Now STFU asked: What kind of panties are you wearing? ;)

Who said I'm wearing any? ;) OK seriously....

Nope. Not going to tell you that one. Going to let you wonder.

Not As Sweet As I Look asked: If you could be any food, what food would you be, and why?

That's a hard one. My first answer would be chocolate - sweet and decadent, and everyone (who is normal) loves it. But pizza is always good too - it's versatile. You can put just about anything on it, it's good hot or cold, it can be breakfast, lunch, supper, or a late-night snack....and it's just good.

An anonymous person asked: Why do you say that there will not be a 3rd wedding for you? If you are in love with the Dude, why won't you marry him?

Well, as I mentioned above, I've been married twice. Neither one of those worked out for various reasons, and when the marriages ended I was devastated. Frankly, I don't want to play that game again. I love The Dude with all my heart, and we are planning for our future. He's ok with not getting married - we don't believe that we have to have a piece of paper and a big ceremony to prove that we love each other. There are also financial reasons why it is better for us NOT to get married - not the least of which is the Social Security that I receive as long as I am not married. Some people have told me that this is a purely selfish reason to not get married again but I don't see it that way. For now, my kids' needs are being met every month without fail, and that's not something that I am willing to throw away for any reason. Call it selfish, call it practical, call it whatever you want, but it is what it is. At some point, probably in the fall after the kids are back in school, I plan on getting a "real" job so that I am not fully dependent on the Social Security, but for now I think my time is better suited to being a mom, first and foremost.

Cecile asked: What is your favorite 'me' moment. We know you're doing this alone (up until now, at least. No offense Dude!) so what do you do to unwind thats just for you?

Hmmmmm....honestly, I don't get a lot of down time, but when I do, I'm usually online *gasp*....or I kick back and watch a movie and do my nails. Or I go out and walk/jog - which I haven't been doing enough of lately.

Kerry (aka The Dude) asked: Since we first met, my dear NSM, what moment sticks out in your mind as your favorite?

That's a tough one, babe. You do things every day that still amaze me. However, probably the most favorite of the favorites would be (in no particular order) the first kiss, the trip to OKC in January, planning TMOART:12 with you, and seeing you at the finish line at my races.

I still can't believe that you are willing to drive across the country with me and 5 kids....

Yes, I Really DID Just Say That Now STFU asked: How does the Dude "measure up" to all of your ex's? Take that one, Kerry!!! lol

Well, he's taller than both of my ex-husbands, but shorter than Alex's father. And I'll let that one go right there. ;)

Cecile asked: Does he wear his purty, shiny hat ALL the time? Bahahaha

For those who don't know, The Dude is a very outspoken guy in the political realm. He has an internet radio show that he does every Sunday night and also goes on other shows throughout the week. His nickname on that side of things is "Conspiracy Theorist" and as a joke, he made a tinfoil hat, which he wore in one of his pictures on his facebook page. Our friend Cecile (among others) loves to hassle him about his hat - but he gets a kick out of it.

Funny thing is that I am about as anti-political as possible. Seriously. I don't talk politics. I don't really pay attention to politics. But that hasn't been an issue in our relationship. While his passion is to put the information out there for people to draw their own conclusions, he doesn't push his agenda on anyone - including me.

If you're interested in hearing what he has to say, you can check out his facebook page too. Just keep in mind, views expressed on his page do not necessarily reflect my views, blah blah blah yada yada yada....

But to answer your question, Cecile - he only wears it to annoy me occasionally. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if he wears it to bed when I'm not around to see it! ;)


So there you have it. The answers to your burning questions. These are fun to do occasionally, so keep your eye out, and I might do it again sometime after we get back from vacation!

8 comments:

  1. I love it! Y'all play well off each other & tbh are *ducks* like an 'ole married couple'. Love ya, gettin there w/the Dude too (shhh, don't tell him, keep him on his toes!) & I only have to say: grab that you time now, remember, the Dude can, will, wants to & DOES run interference! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, yeah, yeah. People are always asking us how long we've been married whenever we're out in public. It's actually become a joke with us - but it's not going to happen! :P

      It's been hard getting used to letting him run interference, but I'm getting used to it now.

      Delete
  2. Gotta love the tinfoil hat...
    I'm now going to wear it to bed, as a matter of obstinance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if he does you HAVE to share with us. Speaking of sleep attire, was that a COWBOYS jersey you were wearing in the pic of you & Daniel?

      *runs off giggling*

      Delete
    2. Pfft. As if.

      No, it was a much classier Penn State jersey. I shall wear that when we meet, just for you.

      Delete
  3. I know someone who lives in TN that has two unused portable DVD players she is willing to give you when you come visit her... so maybe you should pack some DVDs for the remaining leg of your trip. See you in less than a week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm.....I wonder who that anonymous person could be! LOL Sounds good - just make sure that the kids don't see them - we'll stash them in the van and use them as our "secret weapon" when needed!

      Can't wait to see you again!!!

      Delete

I have only two rules - don't reveal anyone's personal information, and be respectful. It's not difficult, honest. Now, go on and play.